пятница, 31 августа 2007 г.

Who Killed the Electric Car?


So, just a couple days I write about an electric car hitting the streets in 2009. Then, I watch Who Killed the Electric Car? Wait…there was an electric car? Now, I feel silly.
I said I wasn’t going to talk about movies for a while, but I have been on a documentary kick the past couple days, and I have been impressed by all of them. Who Killed the Electric Car? follows the production and eventual destruction of the EV1 produced by GM. To make a long story short, the EV1 came about because of the Zero Emission Mandate created by the California Air Resource Board that stated that by 2003, 10% of the cars sold in California should have zero emissions. The EV1 was produced in 1997 and eventually taken off the market and off the street in 2003. Who Killed the Electric Car? examines why it was eventually “killed”. The documentary points to many factors including the government, oil companies, hydrogen fuel, and the car manufacturers.
I could spend paragraphs talking about how well I thought this movie was made and the amount of research that went into it, but I’d rather say that this is a sad story. It is sad that in this day in age when it seems SO possible for an electric car to be produced, so many people are resistant to the idea. Why are they resistant? To save their own butt. Big oil is always going to be resistant to this. Car companies are always going to be resistant to this. Why? To go full speed ahead making electric cars they would have to think of someone other than themselves. They want to protect what is there’s. They want to protect their money and what they have gained instead of looking at the bigger issue here. Gas powered cars are bad for the environment. Gas powered cars make us dependable on foreign oil. Those two things are bad things…plain and simple.
I am going to be getting rid of my Honda Civic here in a couple days so I become part of a one car family. I will be taking public transportation while my wife uses the car. I hope that when I need (or want) a car again, I will be able to buy an electric car. Hopefully, people wake up by then.


Source: http://joemills.edublogs.org/2007/08/26/who-killed-the-electric-car/

Комментариев нет: